Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hey Jude (You're Two!) (On Being a Mom of a Boy)

 
So let it out and let it in, hey Jude, begin, You’re waiting for someone to perform with. And don't you know that it's just you, hey Jude, you'll do, The movement you need is on your shoulder. – The Beatles
 Hey Jude,

Two years and two months ago, you were born. I wasn’t sure how I would do as your mom. You, being a boy, intimidated me. In fact, when I found out you were going to be male, I cried. I wasn’t sure I could parent you the right way. But, God gave me you and I am so blessed by it!

You have amazed me in all things that you do. We have had a rough couple of years, you and me. Not because you aren’t perfect in every way but because there is sin and evil in the world, and so there has been some sickness. It’s gotten in  the way of your growing sometimes, but it hasn’t gotten in the way of your strength. With each test you took , each new medicine you had to try, you took it all in stride. Smiling and laughing all the way. It’s not been easy for me, but for you, you’ve taken it with such grace that you’ve already taught me, not just how to be a better mom, but how to be a better person.

Thankfully, God has redeemed your illness (I don’t even want to call it that, because you, my son, you are not ill!). Once we knew what was wrong, we took you to church, had our community pray over you, and you have been on the path to healing ever since! In the past three months I have seen you develop and grow by leaps and bounds. There are so many wonderful  things that you can do now, every single  day you come up with something new. Gosh – I’m so proud of you.

Let me tell you of just a few things you do that make me so in awe of you, and your little toddler self. You  have said  my name for a long time now, but I don’t get tired of hearing it. Even when you repeat it, over and over and over again … Mama … Mama … I still love it. I want to answer it, I don’ t want you to ever think that I will not answer. I like that you are putting words together now … funny words like “Hot Chip,” and words that melt my heart, like “Mama, help Jude.”

You love music. You recently danced to the sound of the printer printing …When you sing “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,” I adore it. We’ve taught you to sing “Hey Jude,” and “Barbara Ann,” and you soak it all up. When I take you to worship, you dance, clap, raise your hands to the songs as your soul already worships a God you haven’t yet “formally” met but somehow you seem to know God better than I do!

At night, you put your hands together for prayer, sometimes I can get you to say “God.”  I’m trying to teach you that prayer is a constant thing. We pray before meals and bedtime, but we also do short prayers in the car when we hear of a friend who is hurting.

There is something you should know and I think should apologize to you for, Jude. I use you as sermon illustrations. You see, it’s not that I want to use you to get a point across, but it’s that you teach me so much about who God is. Being your mom makes me learn about God as my parent. About God and sacrifice. About God and miracles.

Because you, my sweet boy, are a miracle. Everything little thing you do shows me the glory of who God is. I could go on and on about who you are, but one day you will read this and probably be embarrassed. Please don’t be. Because you are completely and totally amazing.

My dear Jude, you were born a boy, two years ago, but  you will one day grow to be a man. And it will be far too soon for my liking. I know that God is planning to use you in mighty and awesome ways. I couldn’t have asked for a more perfect child. Thank you  for being my kid and teaching me how to be your mom. 
Love, 
Your Mama

2 comments:

Jill said...

After reading this I realized how much I miss you and your words! Really enjoyed this and I need to go grab a tissue now. Love and miss ya Mary. xoxox

Becky said...

So sweet sis

6-Ten Yoga

--> 6:10 a.m. Yoga club. Well, that’s what I’ve named us anyway. My friend Jenny (who also happens to be our child care provider...